1956 Flying Cloud Restoration Index
As we go through the restoration, we will show before and after images of the work. This may lag actual progress on the trailer by many months, as writing about it is more difficult in ways than actually doing the work.
Providing Continuous charging capability for long-Term boondocking
Twin Beds in a “L” Configuration rounds it out
Cabinets – Curbside
The refrigerator cabinet and Wardrobe
Cabinets – Dinette
Building a comfortable and practical dinette
Cabinets – Galley
Continuing along the streetside wall
Cabinets – Bath
Starting with the hardest ones
All new birch cabinets are made and installed using the originals as inspiration
Water Tanks & Pump
2 new Potable water tanks, demand pump, accumulator,and level Indication.
PEX Water Lines, ABS Drain & Vent lines, a demand hot water heater and all new fixtures.
The Linoleum flooring is installed
Zolatone Interior Finish
Applying the Durable Color finish to the interior skins, as the trailer starts going back together
Replacing the Swamp Cooler with a Fantastic fan and updating the Stove vent fan.
50 year old wiring is not a good thing. plus We add a 12volt system and provisions for solar power.
Replacing the old Shell insulation, including using space age reflectix foil barrier .
Fabricating new exterior access doors that resemble the originals.
A modern update to a major convenience feature, but in keeping with the quality and design of the Airstream.
New Holding Tanks
Hidden, but State of the art Holding tanks go in under the floor.
New Belly Skin
Replacing the floor uncovered the damage that existed in the lower belly skin panels. Here’s how I repaired and replaced the skin panels.
Replacing the Floor
The messiest part of the job, but the most important. after this comes the fun stuff.
Restoring the Door
What starts out to be simple repair to replace the seals turns into a big job; includes “the door within a door”.
Rebuilding the Windows
Restoring the windows to weathertight and operable condition.
Hehr Roof Vents
Rebuilding the roof vents using salvaged and repaired parts.
We replaced the broken Atwood Jack with a new one – and salvaged the heavy duty stamped handle from the old one.
Exterior Trailer Lights
Salvaging and rebuilding the Bargman marker lights and taillights.
Replacing the Axle/Brakes/Shocks/Wheels & Tires
After initially rebuilding the axle and the HADCO backing plates to accept Dexter brakes, 3 years later I did what I should have done initially, replace the whole axle and rebuilt the leaf springs.
Progress is being Made!